Sunday, April 27, 2014

Module 14: Scranimals

Book Summary
This book is a book of poetry about the animals on Scranimal Island. The animals on this island are interesting, to say the least. They are either combinations between food and animals or two different types of animals. Each animal has a story associated with it that is told through poetry.

Citation 
Prelutsky, J. (2002). Scranimals. New York: HarperCollins Publishers.

My Impressions
I am someone who is not too fond of poetry, but I found myself truly enjoying the poems about these animals. I also loved the creativity of the authors and their creations. I would love to see what else they could come up with. This book would be really good for introducing the concept of poetry and just enjoying it without analyzing too much. 

Review Excerpts 
Scranimals (Book). (2003). School Library Journal, 49(10), 32 
"On this fantastical journey to Scranimal Island, a menagerie of mixed-up creatures is introduced through clever, rhymed verses. Sis's inventive depictions of such species as "spinachickens", "potatoads", and "mangorillas" are outrageously funny." 

Lindsay, N., Jones, T. E., Toth, L., Charnizon, M., Grabarek, D., & Larkins, J. (2002). Scranimals (Book). School Library Journal, 48(9), 217. 
"Prelutsky introduces the curious inhabitants of Scranimal Island through his skillful and captivating poems." 

Suggestion for Use in a Library
I would create my own Scranimal Island in the library. I would encourage students to create their own Scranimal to include on the island. They could draw pictures of them and write short poems about the animal and how they would act and live.

No comments:

Post a Comment