Sunday, April 27, 2014

Module 9: Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds

Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds

Book Summary
Cam Jansen is a young girl with a photographic memory. When she wants to remember something she says, "Click" and takes a mental picture, which earns her the nickname of Cam. This is the first book of the series and Cam and her friend are at the mall when a ruckus occurs over a robbery at the jewelry store. She takes a mental picture of the scene and eventually helps the police find the true robber with her memory of key, seemingly insignificant details about the scene.

Citation 
Adler, D. (1980). Cam Jansen and the mystery of the stolen diamonds. New York: Penguin Group.

My Impressions
I remember reading this series as a child and liking it. I found the story to be very basic and I figured out the true robber at the beginning. But, I liked how the story unfolded and how Cam figured it out and proved it. For a beginner reader getting into mystery books, this would be a great place to start.

Review Excerpts


Stevenson, D. (1980). Cam Jansen and the mystery of the stolen diamonds (Book). School Library Journal, 26(9), 84.

"David Adler has come up with a neat plot that gives Cam's resourcefulness plenty of chance to shine"

Suggestions for Use in a Library
I think I would use this as a lesson in paying attention to detail. I would create a scenario that could be acted out, either by older students or teachers/staff. I would have the students write a summary of what they saw and see who came the closest to having all the details. This could lead to a discussion of how important paying attention to details could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment