Friday, May 2, 2014

Module 15: Th1rteen R3asons Why

Book Summary
Hannah Baker committed suicide and no one knew why. Before she did, she recorded 7 tapes with 13 stories that tell the 13 reasons why she chose to take her own life. The story unfolds through Hannah's words and Clay's (the narrator) thoughts. The story is sad at times, gripping, and sucks you in as you ask why this girl chose to take her life and as Clay deals with his thoughts and feelings surrounding her life and death.

Citation 
Asher, J. (2007). Th1rteen r3asons why: a novel. New York: Razorbill.

My Impressions
I absolutely loved this book. It is a little weird to say that, but I couldn't put it down. I literally was reading it at every chance I got. I kept thinking, "This needs to be a required reading assignment for every high school student and most middle school students." The story makes you think about how the smallest word or action can change someone's life and how you affect others. There are sexually themed comments and scenes, but despite that, I think that middle school and up should definitely be reading this book. I had been waiting for this week in this course just so I could read this book, as I had heard so much about it.

Review Excerpts 
Dobrez, C. (2007). Thirteen Reasons Why. Booklist, 104(1), 109.
"The message about how we treat one another, although sometimes heave, makes for compelling reading."

Lewis, J. (2007). Thirteen Reasons Why. School Library Journal, 53(11), 116.
"Clay's pain is palpable and exquisitely drawn in gripping, casually poetic prose. The complex and soulful characters expose astoundingly rich and singularly teenage inner lives, with emotions as raw as cut writes. ... The episodic structure is nicely suited to reluctant readers, but the breakneck pace and dizzying emotion are the true source of this novel's irresistible readability at all levels."

Suggestion for Use in a Library
There was a part in the book where Hannah describes a class where the teacher has bags for each student. The students could write notes of encouragement to each other. I would like to take this idea and spin it a bit. I would want to put up bulletin boards up either in the library or in the hallway outside. Students would be able to write anonymous notes to each other and display them there. i would also want to have a place for students to write and post their feelings about things, good or bad. Sometimes you need a place to vent your feelings. I would encourage them to use poetry and they would never be required to post anything unless they chose to. Everything could be anonymous. I would also like to have a safe place for students to come and talk to each other. Maybe set aside a day and time where they could meet and talk. Students keep so much inside and don't think anyone cares or would listen. I would want to have a place where that could happen. I would discuss with the counselor the best way to do this and invite him/her to be involved as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment