Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Module 4: The White Stag and Miss Hickory

The White Stag

Book Summary 
This is the story of the Huns and the Magyars leading up and through the life of Attila the Hun. It follows their journey across Europe and the division of the people over whether to continue West or stay and make a home.

Citation 
Seredy, K. (1937). The White Stag. New York, NY: Puffin Books. 

My Impressions
I really enjoyed this book. I like history and this was a part of history that I do not know a lot about. I was surprised by how the book drew me in and how quick of a read it was. I would recommend it to kids who like historical type stories, especially young boys, since it involves war and conquest. I would caution students to make sure they are aware that this might not be complete truth and historically accurate.

Review Excerpts
Barnes and Noble.com, Reviewer: HomeSchoolBookReview (Due to the age of this book, I could not locate many credible reviews).
"The short book is well written from a literary standpoint and quite exciting to read. If considered solely in the realm of pure legend, as Greek myths, it might not be so bad, and would make an interesting adjunct to the study of ancient European history, but the blending of pagan mysticism with Biblical references and even the mention of European Christianity could be a problem."

Suggestions for Use in a Library
I would use this as a launching point for students to study this part of history. I would see if they could find more information about Attila the Hun and see if the information they find matches up with the book.



Miss Hickory

Book Summary 
This is the story of Miss Hickory, who is a doll that lives in a little house. Her owner moves away and she is left alone. This book follows her story throughout the winter and her quest for survival.

Citation 
Bailey, C.S. (1946). Miss Hickory. New York, NY: Puffin Books. 

My Impressions
Honestly, I did not enjoy this book. I thought it was creative, but it just didn't appeal to me. Miss Hickory seemed to be too far fetched for me and she also seemed to be a bit annoying in her behaviors. I think children might really enjoy it, but I wasn't impressed.

Review Excerpts
Barnes and Noble.com, Reviewer: New York Times (Due to the age of this book, I could not locate many credible reviews).
"Children will thoroughly enjoy the inventive details, perfectly proportioned, of Miss Hickory's life in the orchard, and her adventures... They will like her stout apple-wood heart and her brisk practicality, which seems to soften as winter lengthens into spring. The end of her tale... adds a final touch of poetry to an unusual fantasy."

Suggestions for Use in a Library
I would have children in the library build their own dolls out of ordinary things, such as twigs, leaves, etc. I would then have them create adventures for their dolls to live out.

No comments:

Post a Comment